What do snakes, or other reptiles, need more than anything?
A comfortable place to call home.
You need to provide them an environment that is as close as possible to their natural environment.
And to do that, you need a quality enclosure.
Exo Terra natural glass terrariums are some of the best. With tons of shapes and sizes available, there is sure to be one that is right for your pet.
Our review will take a closer look at these enclosures to find out exactly why they are so popular and if they are as good as people say.
Table of Contents
- 1 Exo Terra Glass Terrarium Review
- 2 Exo Terra Terrariums: Final Thoughts
Exo Terra Glass Terrarium Review
Reptiles or amphibians make fascinating pets. And snakes might just be the most fascinating of all. Unlike usual pets, they require a different and unique environment, that you will have to provide.
Before getting a reptile or an amphibian as a pet, you have to learn about their lifestyle and the particular conditions they need to survive, so that you know exactly what terrarium they need and how to outfit it.
But terrariums are not just for reptiles or amphibians. They can also be used for home décor. You can put small plants in them and place them or hang them around your house.
Whatever your use for a terrarium, there are a few brands that stand out in this industry. One of them is Exo Terra. Their glass terrariums are among the most popular for pet snakes, lizards, turtles, etc. Let’s find out why, beginning with a short summary of the pros and cons.
- Designed by European herpetologists
- Many models available in all shapes and sizes
- Versatile use: great for reptiles like snakes, but also for plants, as a piece of home décor
- Sturdy construction, with stainless steel frames
- Includes realistic background
- Lockable front doors for easy access
- Mesh top for ventilation
- Access holes for inlets, outlets and wires
- Glass construction means it does not hold heat as well as a wooden enclosure
- Glass is also more fragile than wood or plastic
- Glass terrariums are heavier than many wooden and all plastic ones
- Glass enclosures cost more than plastic ones
About Exo Terra
Exo Terra produces terrariums that are versatile, easily accessible and that make your pet feel welcome. Over the years Exo Terra has been able to understand the essentials of what reptiles need and use that information to produce terrariums reptiles love.
This is not surprising, when you consider the founders are reptile lovers and hobbyists, dedicated to producing comfortable, quality products for reptiles. They consult with expert herpetologists in the design and construction of their enclosures.
The use of a realistic landscape in the terrarium goes a long way toward making the new inhabitants feel right at home and is one of the many things that has made Exo Terra a leading company in producing innovative and creative products.
And among their most popular products is their line of terrariums. They produce some of the best snake terrariums on the market.
Exo Terra Glass Enclosures
Any Exo Terra natural glass terrarium is an ideal choice for reptiles or amphibians. They are all designed by specialist European herpetologists, to ensure your snake or other reptile lives a happy, healthy and comfortable life.
The doors open in the front and allow easy access. This makes it easier for feeding and maintenance. They can be opened separately. The lock is specially designed to prevent escape, no matter how clever an escape artist your pet may be.
The enclosures have a full screen top for ventilation. This allows UVB and infrared rays to enter, but does not allow your pet to exit. It can be completely removed for easy access for cleaning or decorating.
There are five closable wire or tube inlets at the back, to install features like heat wave rock waterfalls or sensors. The bottom part of the terrarium is raised to make space for a substrate heater.
Every Exo-Terra natural glass terrarium also includes a background. The easy to cut natural background creates an incredible and natural look. This background creates a multi-dimensional habitat for climbing reptiles. It creates a perfectly harmonized environment.
Each Exo Terra terrarium comes with:
- Front window ventilation
- Waterproof bottom
- Dual doors for an escape free access
- Raised bottom frame
- Stainless steel mesh cover
- Locks to prevent escape
- Secure twist screen cover lock
- Closable inlets for wires and tubing
- Cutouts in the back for wires or tubes
- Natural background
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Use A Terrarium?
A terrarium is the most crucial aspect of the amphibian and reptile keeping. They provide the actual home for your pet.
There are many species of reptiles and amphibian. And all of them have different requirements. These require versatile and adaptable terrariums.
Exo Terra has specially designed terrariums according to the needs of reptile owners, as determined by herpetologists, i.e. people who have studied reptiles. This makes Exo Terra’s line of terrariums unique, because each differs slightly in its size and shape, top accommodate the needs of various species.
Of course, keeping reptiles is only one application. These terrariums can also be used for several other applications. As mentioned, they can be used for plants as well.
What Are The Primary Features Of An Exo Terra Terrarium?
- Exo-Terra natural glass terrariums are professionally designed by herpetologists. The terrariums have a combination of glass and black plastic, which gives a classic look, means almost no chances of scratches and also makes it easy to regulate humidity.
- They have a removable mesh lid, giving you easy access to the inside. You can add or remove decorations and clean from the top as well Holes in the lid allow for proper ventilation.
- Keeping the environment warm is necessary for reptile or amphibian pets. The glass structure helps keep heat inside. The frame structure inside at the bottom allows you to add an under-the-tank heater, if needed.
- Access holes allow you to easily run wires inside, for things like thermostats, heaters or hygrometers. The holes are closable, so it is easier to keep it all organized. There are special provisions for you to set a UV light above the lid.
- The Exo-Terra natural glass terrariums have a unique door locking system. This keeps your pets from escaping the terrarium. They also come with a range of specially designed side accessories. For example the UVB light or the heater at the bottom.
- The best thing about the Exo-Terra terrariums is that they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. This way, you have a house for all your exotic species of reptiles. Choose from the options given, according to the requirements of your pet. If they don’t have the size you need, check out our Zoo Med terrarium review to see if they have the right size.
What Kinds Of Animals Can You Keep In One Of These Enclosures?
Exo-Terra natural glass enclosures are perfect for almost all kinds of reptiles. You can keep a baby gecko, a leopard gecko, snakes, African land snails, chameleons, etc.
And because of the smart lock system, your pets won’t be able to escape, so you can be sure of complete security. Apart from pets, you can also have plants in the terrarium like the pitcher plant.
Are These Enclosures Heated?
No, they are not heated, though the glass front helps to hold heat inside. But you can install a heater at the bottom according to the needs of your pet. The elevated bottom and electric holes are specifically designed to make it easier to install heaters.
Exo Terra Terrariums: Final Thoughts
With a large selection of shapes and sizes to choose from, there is sure to be an Exo-Terra natural glass terrarium for your species of pet. And that is a good thing, because these are some of the very best terrariums on the market.
They were designed by herpetologists, specifically to address the needs of the reptile owner. As such, they have all the features you would want in an enclosure for snakes or other reptiles.
Leave a Reply